Friday, January 22, 2010

Yep, I've Got Wayne Chrebet's Autograph


Might as well get the obligatory "Rex Ryan is fat" joke out of the way now so you're not thinking about it the whole time.


All week long the Jets have talked.

Head coach Rex Ryan said he'd be "shocked" if the Jets don't beat the Colts, and ESPN decided that was Bottom Line worthy (as is two-star high school recruits announcing their plans to attend Fort Valley State nowadays). Safety Kerry Rhodes (you may remember him as the guy who was benched and nearly shipped out of town two months ago) brought up Manning's four interception performance against the Patriots in the 2003 AFC Championship Game as proof the future Hall of Famer can be rattled. Kicker Jay Feely said the Jets would still have beaten the Colts in Week 16 "had (Bill) Polian and (Jim) Caldwell not shaved their little pussies bald on the field" and removed the starters for a quarter and a half.

One of those is made up, but still, they've been flapping their gums.

"Has anyone seen my gloves and armbands? I need them. For kicking."


All week we've heard about how great the Jets defense is. Are they? I understand how freakishly good Darrelle Revis is, but they did lose seven games, and didn't get that precious number one defensive ranking we've heard so much about until later in the season, when this little favorable stretch factored in:


Week 12 - Carolina (the last game of Jake Delhomme's
immortal 2009 campaign, mercifully ended by injury during a four interception performance)

Week 13 - @ Buffalo


Week 14 - @ Tampa Bay


Week 15 - Atlanta (in the swirling Meadowland winds)


Week 16 - @ Curtis Painter


Week 17 - Cincinnati (without Cedric Benson, with Carson Palmer)


And yes, the victory in San Diego was impressive, but is anyone really surprised by a playoff lapse involving this man? At least when they're not playing the Colts, anyway.

So I guess, surprisingly, I'm not as worried as I should be. The Colts only choked in years past when not a single person expected them to lose, and I've already heard a good amount of people dry hump the Jets bandwagon. I just personally feel it's this team's, and Manning's, destiny.

And if the Jets do win on Sunday, that's karma for willingly giving up a goddamn perfect season.

The pick:

Colts 31, Jets 10

P.S.
True story: My father and I flew with the Colts (and stayed at the team hotel, riding the bus to and from the stadium with "the guys", I called them) for a Colts-Jets game in the Meadowlands in 1998, Manning's third professional game. We got slaughtered 44-6, and trust me, you don't want these scumbag fans to win. They're Grade A assholes, and I swear I heard "J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!" 8,000 times.

The silver lining? We bought a program, and during the game the announcer said something along the lines of, "Jets fans! Open your program to page 27! If you have Wayne Chrebet's autograph, you've just won! Come down behind Section 227 to claim your prize!"

Yep, it was me. You should have seen their faces as they handed a shitty Jets sweatshirt to the only kid in the building with a Marvin Harrison jersey on.

So between that, winning an autographed team football when my name scrolled on the screen at the RCA Dome, and being selected out of the audience during an Indiana Ice game at Conseco Fieldhouse to shoot pucks during intermission (I hit one for $500 and decided to take the money and run instead of risking it all for $1,000 - I'll post the hilarious picture of me with a helmet and jersey on here sometime) I have really good/odd luck at sporting events.

Anyways, it's fun to be in a championship game with a team from New York again. Makes me wish the Pacers were still around.

That Other Game, The One Where Sean Payton Is Coaching Against Brad Childress:

Saints 34, Vikings 23

No comments:

Post a Comment