Saturday, March 20, 2010

Formal Apology(?) to Joshua Clottey

Fake Field Goal Pass 2 would kinda-sorta like to issue an apology to boxer Joshua Clottey. On March 13, Mr. Clottey "fought" Manny Pacquiao in the first significant match at Jerry Jones's Palace in Dallas, and I said some questionable things as the fight progressed.

Had respected contemporaries - such as, oh, Skip Bayless - said something remotely similar to any of this, they would swiftly and certainly be reamed by this very website. I hold myself to these same standards - and then some.

The quotes in question:

1. "Go to hell, Clottey. Go to hell for everything you've done for the sport and your pride, Joshua."

A bit much.


2. "Clottey is a pussy, and I would call him that to his face."


Official retraction, Joshua!


3. "Ghana must really need money, because all Clottey is doing is collecting a paycheck."

On the surface, this appears really stupid. And it is. I understand Ghana is desperately poor, yet my anger towards Clottey's strategy transformed me. My sincere apologies to Ghana, even though no one from Ghana will ever read or hear about this, ever.


4. "Worst fight I've ever watched. Clottey should be ashamed. I've always wondered, 'What would I do if I could get millions of dollars to be in a boxing match?' It would be to do nothing but block. That's exactly what Clottey did. Shame on you, you fucking bum."

Originally I was going to apologize for this. How could you blame or make fun of someone for doing exactly what you would do in that specific situation?

Eh, I'm gonna go ahead and stand by that one. That's his job, and a richly rewarded (not counting the Monday detail long-term physical and mental health defects) one at that.



No comments:

Post a Comment