Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Awards Wednesday

Time is bizarre in sports world.

In seventh grade, my friend Andy and I snatched up Kobe Bryant's first signature shoe (via Adidas; I went black model) and loved the shit out of drawing the goofy foot-face mascot rubber keychain that went along with it.

Then this happened:



Approximately nine seconds after Kobe set the trophy from this contest down, I left the mall wearing a gold #8 Los Angeles Lakers jersey, and I ain't talkin' Doug Christie.

Kobe Bryant was 18 years old.

Meanwhile in the Bronx, New York Yankees management and fans were salivating while watching their young shortstop flash the signs of a not-so-distant future's dynastic captain. Now I have never liked the Yankees, nor do I fully respect their built-in financial and locational advantage in the game, but I do respect a player who just has it. And as much as I get tired of hearing cliches tossed so violently they resemble Taylor Lautner's salad, this two-year veteran just had it.

Derek Jeter was 23 years old.


"No, Derek, I swear. As your agent, I'm telling you, just shoot this stupid cover story with him and you can stop pretending to be his friend. This is a one-time thing. What did you think, you'd have to pretend to be his friend 12 years from now or something?"



Now? In the last month of the last year of the 2000's, Derek Jeter is 35 years old and Kobe Bryant 31. Derek Jeter is 35 years old and Kobe Bryant is 31! Both are coming off championship seasons, in which both were legitimate regular season MVP finalists. And above all else, both are the unquestioned leaders of two of the most storied franchises in the history of professional sport.


Look at them there. Kobe hasn't filled in physically, and is trying so hard (deservedly so, he's eighteen years old) to look as cool as fucking possible. But you can still see Kobe 31: 2009 Remix in there a little. To all you boozers out there, take a drink every time Kobe licks his lips during a game or postgame interview. Actually don't. Alcohol poisoning is a very serious issue, and even John Daly's friends would speed away after dumping his liquor-riddled body at a hospital due to the merciless beating that game would inflict.


Jeter has some babyfat in the face, and his fade was already Hall of Fame-caliber. But can't you still see that kid who enjoys New York (and her night-life) and loves to play the game of baseball, even now in 2009 Engaged Derek Jeter? (By the way, anytime Derek Jeter's passion is mentioned, you can't just say "baseball". You have to say "the game of baseball". Blogger notified me of this glaring error when I attempted to publish the post.)


So here's to Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter, FFGP2's "Athletes of 2009 Who Have Been Playing At A Remarkably High Level Since I Was In Seventh Grade".



THE TANTALIZING, TITILLATING TWENTY-EIGHT


...is coming later this week or early next. Recent developments in Oakland (Charlie Frye! Starting again! Over JaMarcus Russell!) have been woven into the fabric of this prestigious event, and therefore must be carefully examined. Kind of like how the NHL takes some time off in the middle of the season for the Olympic Winter Games.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how young they look. When they were this age, I remember thinking that they seemed so much older than me. Now I'm 28 and Kobe's 31. But we've both accomplished the same amount, right?

    ReplyDelete